Handley was a thriving community settled when the Texas and Pacific Railroad came through in 1876. The town was named after James Madison Handley who was a Confederate Major in the Civil War. He owned a very large plantation to the east of this town. Handley was located just east of Fort Worth, Texas. There is still an area today known as Handley, though it is officially part of Fort Worth.